Sunday, October 28, 2012

It has been nearly a month now of living in our new rig.  A couple of issues have come up; I noticed that one of my 40lb propane tanks was nearly empty.  That is really strange as it was typical for us to go a whole season on less than one 30lb tank in the Kountry Star.  Granted, we were cooking meals three times a day but that could not possibly explain the consumption I was seeing.  Being aware of this, I started looking for possible culprits.  The first thing was that both of us had been noticing a faint odor of propane when we opened the cabinet doors just below the range, so possibly a small leak there.  But then I saw the read-out on the refrigerator and the little dot that indicates that the fridge is running on electricity was not on.  Dang, the fridge had been operating in 80+ temperatures trying to keep a freezer cold enough to make ice.

After several days of working with the factory over the phone to try and diagnose why the fridge would not switch over to electicity we finally gave up and scheduled a technician to come out.  It was several days before they could ge to me but when they finally did, it only took them a little less than an hour to track the problem down to a fuse on the circuit board of the fridge.  The guy had to go through about three layers of electronics to get to it, but he found it.

Cyndee bought me a spray water bottle and I made a soap solution to start tracking down the suspected leak under the cook-top.  It only took three squirts and I started seeing bubbles.  A quarter-turn with a wrench and the problem was solved.  A quick trip to Ace hardware to refill the propane bottle and we were all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment