Monday, February 10, 2014

Meep! Meep!

I have been trying to capture a road runner image since arriving in Big Bend three months ago, with little success.  Those guys are speedy little buggers and won't hold still long enough to even point a camera their way.

But a few mornings ago, a very cold morning, we had the blind to the rear picture window raised and I was looking out across the arroyo when movement caught my eye.  It was a pair of road runners and they were definitely hunting, working their way in our direction.

With it being under 20 degrees and me in my sweat pants and slippers all I could do was grab the camera and shoot through the double-pane, tinted glass and hope for the best.  Both of them mostly stayed in the cover of brush and their markings helped them blend in well.


But today was my lucky day, one of them hopped up on a yucca stump and actually sat still for a brief moment.

Like I said before, it was cold on this morning and the road runner scrunched down, fluffed his feathers trying to warm up while the other road runner kept plying through the brush.


But shortly the slacker perked up.  Something got his/her attention.


I turned the camera in the direction of its gaze and found the other road runner, crest raised and eyes focused on something.  I got this one shot as it launched off this rock.


Turning back to the other one, I caught him just as he was leaving to catch up with his hunting partner.  They were both out of sight within seconds.


Even though I got these photos I am still going to have to keep hunting them.  With me inside I never did get to hear them do their famous meep! meep! call.  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Laughing, just think how Wile E Coyote felt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not resorted to using any ACME products, yet. But I think I am beginning to understand the coyote's frustration.

    ReplyDelete