Thursday, June 6, 2013

Drama

The green-backed winged beast has returned.  I think he (I don't know what gender it is, I am just going to go with "he" out of convenience) has gotten a little more comfortable with me sitting on the other side of the glass as he hung out a little longer affording me a little better chance at getting a clearer shot.


It is still not National Geographic quality but at least it is more than just a blurry blob this time.  Shooting through the window screen and the tinted window really degrade the quality.  I held the trigger down and burned through about 15 exposures to get this one usable image.

After several dips into the sugar water he decided to take a more direct interest in me.  After a distinct gaze through the window I think he decided he objected to being watched and zipped out of sight.


But that was not the end of it.  I noticed some movement on top of the feeder and leaned in to take a closer look.  Awesome!  A small spider had snatched a little wasp right out the air, no web, no trap, no bait, just SNAP and that wasp was lunch.  Wildlife drama in miniature.  Both of these critters were tiny but unlike the hummingbird, they held still long enough to at least let me attempt to focus properly.


 Plus, I was able to go outside and shoot this macro-style, with no window between me and the subject.  The spider was not as skittish as the hummingbird and in no hurry to interrupt his meal.  I have to emphasize how small these guys are.  You could have put them on the thumb-nail of small child and had room left over.  I had to get close and go full out with the 300 mm lens.  Still, these posted shots are heavily cropped and enlarged.  But I like the results.  I am really enjoying my retirement gift from the folks at work.  Don't forget to click on the photos to enlarge them for a closer look.

T -4 days until departing Georgia (clock stopped and holding)


No comments:

Post a Comment