Friday, July 26, 2013

Poacher!

I'm sorry to have to report that we have had little mayhem in the campground.  A couple of large dogs, one a cow-dog and the other a retriever wandered into the campground.  At first they appeared to be just knocking around and enjoying the evening like us.  But things changed quickly.

We have more critters here in the campground than just the lizards I have been posting.  In fact, Cyndee's geranium that has made the transcontinental trip with us has been showing signs of being grazed on, probably by this guy:


But it was not long before the grazer became prey.  I was standing in our campsite fiddling with the awning when all of a sudden a streak of black and grey passed right under me.  I looked up to see the cow-dog in hot pursuit of a cotton tail rabbit with the black retriever close behind, just along for the run.  Everybody disappeared behind the bath house and I expected that the rabbit had made it to a safe hole under the building or something.

But I was wrong.  In about ten minutes I noticed the cow-dog waltzing down the road and he was carrying something in his mouth.  His pursuit had paid off, he got his rabbit.


The cow-dog and his retriever running buddy found themselves some shade under a distant tree and the cow-dog enjoyed the fruits of his labor while the retriever looked on longingly.  The rabbit population dropped by one this day but I don't think there was any serious damage done to the rabbit community at large.  We still have them hopping around all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment