Saturday, October 5, 2013

The winter adventure begins.

The Grand Canyon is in the books for us.  Now we are turning our attention to what is next.  And for now next means intercepting our packages that are on their way to the North Rim.  So far we have plucked one out of the system.  The folks at Jacob Lake Lodge very graciously agreed to put up a note for the UPS driver to please leave any packages for me there, and he did!

I was tracking a second shipment and saw that UPS had turned the package over to the US Postal Service in Page, AZ.  What?  UPS transfers packages to the post office?  It turns out they do.  So now I will be camping out at the lodge or campground mailbox to see if I can convince the person delivering the mail (a rural contract employee driving his personal Prius) to give it to me instead of driving it all the way out to the rim.

In the mean time, it is cold out here!  Our temps have been dipping into the high twenties for a couple of nights and last night we got down to 21 deg.  My water hose had frozen solid the night before when in the high twenties, glad I changed it out to my heated hose yesterday.

Our new digs look a lot like our previous ones at the North Rim, sans asphalt.

Lots of ponderosa pines.  It must be a rule or something around these parts that you cannot have a level RV site.  There was not one at the North Rim and there is definitely not one here.

In some ways this campground is more rustic than the North Rim but I am happy to say that their electricity is superb.  We have not had any drop-outs or brown-outs.
There is one, lone aspen in the campground and it is in the site adjacent to ours.  It is showing off its fall dazzle.
All in all, not a bad place to be although I am accustomed to getting a sewer hook-up and WiFi for $36/night rate.  Such is the cost for the services we have out here a long ways from nowhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment